Thursday, March 25, 2010

Where do I start?

Wow, I'm officially a blogger. Never done the blogging thing before, but after Caroline came into our lives, I knew I had to do something to document everything that's happened since her birthday - and what a great way to keep it all in one place for her to read later. So here goes.

So Todd and I had been married about 4 years in 2008. We had decided when we got married to wait a few years and enjoy being married before bringing children into our lives. Being in our 30s, we knew we shouldn't wait long. We talked for a good year to year and a half about whether we were ready to try to conceive - were we ready for our lives to slow down, to put off the twice-a-year vacations, and all that. By fall of 2008 we were ready.

One round of ovulation kits later, I took a test on January 1, 2009, and it was positive!!! We were surprised - didn't expect to get pregnant so soon, but OK, we'll roll with it! I had suffered a miscarriage 2 years before, a surprise pregnancy in the first place, so we decided to keep this one quiet until we were close to 12 weeks.

Of course, in the meantime, we took a cruise. So Caroline has already been to Puerto Rico, she's seen the nude beach in St Maarten, kayaked in Dominica, seen the nutmeg farms in Grenada, and snorkeled in Bonaire. We'll just tell her about it later. I lived with the Sea-Bands on my wrists to combat the motion sickness I already had just from being on the cruise ship in the first place!

All was OK with the pregnancy until I found out I had gestational diabetes in June. That was a big shock! I had been eating well, more healthy than I did when i WASN'T pregnant, but we had to roll with it and spend the last trimester of my pregnancy watching every little thing I ate and checking my blood sugar 4 times a day. And I'm a worry wort so this was not fun. I was convinced I would end up on insulin shots, and had every excuse known to man ready as to why they shouldn't make me take them. In the end though, I had to realize that this wasn't anything I did - Caroline's placenta was overloading my system with glucose and my body just wasn't handling it well. I managed to get thru the rest of pregnancy with Glyburide tablets and my sugar levels went back to normal after I had her. But man, what I wouldn't have given for a hot caramel sundae from Dairy Queen that last month!!!

Todd and I are HUGE, and I mean HUUUUGE, Jimmy Buffett fans. Between he and I, together we've seen close to 30 live shows. In 2009, the Cincinnati show was scheduled for August 6th, and I was due on September 10th. So, we knew it had to be a sign when we got closed out of tickets on the day they went on sale thru Ticketmaster. Did I really want to waddle around Riverbend during the day and deal with the crowd on what could be a very hot day? So, we held off. As the time got closer though, we decided we just needed to go - our last Buffett show as "just the two of us." So we managed to find pavilion seats, the day before the show, and paid face value! Caroline heard her first Buffett show, in utero, less than a month before she arrived into the world. We just knew we had to introduce her to Jimmy the right way, Braxton Hicks contractions be damned. :) It was a great night, we were so glad we went, and that was probably the first Buffett show I attended, sober, since I was about 17!!!!! FINS UP!!!

So fast forward to August 30th. Todd had been out of town a good part of the prior week, working at the Darke County Fair with his family and side business, 2001 Flavors. I was starting to feel uncomfortable, but not so much that I thought I would go into labor - but we asked the neighbors to be "on call" anyway. Friday at work, I closed out lots of items and brought my plant home because I just had a feeling something would happen over the weekend. I made Todd come home and be with me Friday night, but felt better Saturday so he went back to the fair until Sunday morning. Sunday I had been pretty uncomfortable but hadn't felt contractions at all, so we did our usual: get dinner (Mexican, not regular but it sounded good), go for a walk, have a Klondike bar. Got ready for bed, and then something felt a little funny....................


No comments:

Post a Comment